Subject: Live Stream of The First "Egyptology meets IT" (EmIT) Workshop

From: "A.K. Eyma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:37:43 +0100

--------Forwarded Message--------

From: So Miyagawa <[email-masked]>

Egyptology meets IT Workshop
18 NOVEMBER 2016 / 9:00 AM /
Seminarraum 1, Heyne-Haus, Papendiek 16, Göttingen

Dear all,

We will do a live stream of our workshop The First "Egyptology
meets IT" (EmIT) Workshop in Goettingen.  Camilla Di Biase-Dyson
and I organize this workshop. This is a practical workshop mainly
for people who would like to learn how to use new technologies
for Egyptology, especially those who have not worked on those
technologies.

The live stream channel page is here:

<http://www.ustream.tv/channel/HFyUCQ9jtwm>

You can see the lectures by Bob Richmond on Hieroglyph Encoding,
Heleen Wilbrink on Virtual Reality with Egyptology, and Marwan
Kilani & me on Hieroglyph Unicode and its new input system
working directly everywhere including Microsoft Word and
internet browsers (using a web font).

The live streaming starts at 9:00 till 17:00 (with some intervals).
We could not stream the lecture by Prof. Werning on XML from 11:15
to 14:00.

The revised programme and prerequisites for lectures are here:

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/135jwijz4Y5VJhMr0oOshPhw26yUbv8WjOq2r2Bqp8BU/edit?usp=sharing>

For Marwan's and my hieroglyphic Unicode input system called
SINUHE the Hierotyper, you can see our homepage:

<http://sinuhe.foreverhost.us/?i=1>

We succeeded in the quadrat/group writing and the four typing
methods, namely transliteration of a word to a word in
hieroglyphs with determinatives and phonetic complements,
Gardiner's codes, categories such as MAN, GOD, MAMMAL, PLANT
and transliteration of phonograms.  And also you can type
hieroglyphs directly on Excel, Word, Pages (iWorks) and web
browsers. This is also good for a web corpus.

- Editing hieroglyphs on Pages with underlines and colours
(<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmBgn9W5LtM&feature=share>)
- Inputting Hieroglyphs in group writing on Excel
(<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qokqLzGGD7Y>)
- Demo video of inputting hieroglyphs in a quadrat on Pages
(<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx0A3A7K-dQ&feature=youtu.be>)
- Demo video of web font displayed on Chrome and searching
Hieroglyphs on Google
(<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaCiduB2OA&feature=youtu.be>)

Heleen's lecture on Virtual Reality project with Leiden Museum
of Antiquities and Google is also interesting. Bob Richmond
is a pioneer of Hieroglyphic Unicode with Michael Everson.

If you have an idea of the second "Egyptology meets IT"
workshop, please let me know. We hope to see you online!

​
PROGRAM
9:00  Camilla Di Biase-Dyson (Göttingen)
Welcome and introduction
9:15 – 10:00 Bob Richmond (Contributor to Microsoft, Oxford)
The technology of managing hieroglyphs on computers
10:00 – 10:45 Heleen Wilbrink (ING, Amsterdam)
A virtual reality project with Google cardboard in co-operation
with the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden
10:45 – 11:15 Break 11:15 – 12:45 Daniel Werning (Humboldt-
Universität zu Berlin) *Not to be streamed*
Digital Encoding of Hieroglyphic-Egyptian Text Artefacts according
to the Text Encoding Initiative Guidelines (TEI XML). Introduction
& hands-on workshop.
Active participation requires set up of software before the
workshop (see separate list [at website below]).
12:45–14:00 Lunch at Kartoffelhaus, Goethe-Allee 8
14:00 – 14:45 Marwan Kilani (Oxford) and So Miyagawa (Göttingen)
Inputting Unicode hieroglyphs for a DH project and the future
of Egyptology, introduction to SINUHE (Sublime Inputting of
Unicode for Hieroglyphic Egyptian)
14:45 – 16:45 Marwan Kilani (Oxford) and So Miyagawa (Göttingen)
- Ligature Font - Hieroglyphic Input - Team Work on GitHub
Participation requires registration and also participation in a
pre-workshop set up of software, fonts and keyboard layout with
So Miyagawa.
16:45–17:00 Concluding remarks

More information please go to the programme page

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/135jwijz4Y5VJhMr0oOshPhw26yUbv8WjOq2r2Bqp8BU/edit?usp=sharing>

Yours sincerely,

So
---------------------------------------------------
# So Miyagawa
## [soː mijɑˈgɑwɑ]

### Affiliations
* Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (Egyptology & Coptology,
Ph.D. candidate)
* SFB1136 "Bildung und Religion in Kulturen des Mittelmeerraums
und seiner Umwelt von der Antike bis zum Mittelalter und zum
Klassischen Islam" (Research Fellow)
* KELLIA: Koptische/Coptic Electronic Language and Literature
International Alliance, National Endowment for the Humanities
and German Research Foundation (Research Fellow)
* Coptic SCRIPTORIUM (Sahidic Corpus Research: Internet Platform
for Interdisciplinary multilayer Methods) (Research Member)
* Unicode Consortium (Student Member)
* Kyoto University (Linguistics, Ph.D. candidate)

### Homepages and a CV
* SFB1136:
<https://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/531081.html>
* CV:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HhhKovsJzqZQGCn6W1oN
weqyqKYUfUvFTxAlStKICdM/edit?usp=sharing>
* Academia.edu
<http://academia.edu/>: https://uni-goettingen.academia.edu/SoMiyagawa>
* CoptOT:
<http://coptot.manuscriptroom.com/web/somiyagawa/blog>
* researchmap:
<http://researchmap.jp/SoMiyagawa/>

### Quotes
וַיִּמְצָא מֶלֶךְ-אַשּׁוּרבְּהוֹשֵׁעַ קֶשֶׁר, אֲשֶׁר שָׁלַח מַלְאָכִים
אֶל-סוֹא מֶלֶךְ-מִצְרַיִם, וְלֹא-הֶעֱלָה מִנְחָה לְמֶלֶךְ אַשּׁוּר,
כְּשָׁנָה בְשָׁנָה;

"But the king of Assyria found treachery in Hoshea, for he had
sent messengers to So, king of Egypt, and offered no tribute
to the king of Assyria, as he had done year by year ."
(2 Kings 17:4, ESV)